Last year was a bad year all around for preserving for us. The only thing I really got put up was tomatoes, chili sauce and jam which are of the utmost importance but there are so many other things I didn’t get done. I didn’t even get any herbs dried!
Here is a list I have come up with (yes it’s a long one) of what I would like to get preserved this summer.
- I would like to can: beans, peaches, apricots, pickle relish, bread and butter pickles, beets, tomatoes, sauce, chili sauce, and veggie soup
- I would like to freeze: peas, snap peas (for stir frys), applesauce, beet greens, chives, corn, blueberries, raspberries, pesto, prepared chili, and stuffed peppers, cut up peppers, and black raspberries
- I would like to store: potatoes, winter squash, carrots, cabbage, brussels sprouts, pie pumpkins, garlic, shallots and onions.
- I would like to dry basil, celery leaf, oregano, thyme, parsley, sage, lavender, peppermint and lemon balm and sweet chili powder I would also like to grow dry beans for storage too.
- I also plan on making strawberry jam, violet jelly, dandelion jelly, grape jelly, peach jam, apricot jam, black raspberry jam, red raspberry jam and harvest our honey for the first time.
- My goal is to also add asparagus, blueberry and rhubarb plants to the fleet this year.
- I would also like to work on making our own lip balm, lotions and potions this year.
That’s a lot right? I am sure I’ll add or delete as necessary but it’s a start!
Have you thought about your preserving goals for the season yet?
Next post, what I want to grow in the garden this year. -MM